The word Doula comes from Greek origin, meaning “woman caregiver”. It has now evolved to mean one or more individuals, often female, who are experienced in childbirth and who provide psychological encouragement and physical assistance to the newly delivered mother and her family before, during and after childbirth.
“The use of a doula can shorten labor by 2 to 3 hours and significantly reduce complications and the use of cesarean sections. Also there is remarkable drop in the mother’s need for pain medication.” (Klaus, Kennell & Klaus, 2012)
Having a baby is a whirlwind of emotions, feelings, and there are so many decisions to navigate. As a professional Doula, I provide a complete care package to make sure you can fully enjoy your whole birthing experience, from pregnancy, to birth and beyond. I strive to educate, empower, and support you and your partner through every part of your unique journey.
As a Doula, I believe that a woman has the right to her choice of birth, and that in most cases birth can be a natural process, not a medical event. As a Doula, I provide emotional, physical, and informational support to the mothers and their families, and to help guide them in their transition as “new” parents (whether they have children already or not). My training and certification is through CAPPA. I also have experience with Hypnobirthing, as I took the course and used it in my own birth. I find it to be a very handy tool in my “birth toolbox” of various methods I use to help clients during birth experience. I have experience with first time moms, repeat moms, C-sections, VBACS, multiples, even VBAC of multiples!
I offer unbiased support and am as comfortable helping a mom labor at home in a birthing tub as I am in a hospital. All births can be beautiful no matter what the setting. And I believe that because birth, most often, is a natural event, it can and should be experienced without fear.
I bring with me my experience in the field of healing and offer prenatal meetings and fear-release guided meditations. I have a background as an aromatherapist and use essential oils to help create your ideal birth environment.
I am an amateur photographer and have packages that include photography at births and for the first hours after to help document all those important “firsts” and to help process the birth afterwards. I am a Childbirth Educator and have come up with my own series & style which incorporates the physical, emotional, and mental aspects of pregnancy, birth and beyond.
Once the family has developed their rhythm and time has passed, I can also help with parenting coaching using Peaceful Parenting, Conscious Discipline, along other methods and strategies.
Because of the struggles I faced as a pregnant/new mom, the hurdles I overcame and rose above, I am devoting my profession to helping Moms and their family members hopefully feel a little less lost or alone.
I offer a variety of packages and am flexible, fair and compassionate, and will work with you to help you find something that works for you.
For more information on our Doula services, please fill out the form below:
Zenmamalove Peaceful Beginnings Package
- One prenatal meeting at a convenient location to establish relationship and define birth options, create or refine a birth plan, discuss your care provider and how we will all work together. (approx. 2 hours)
- One prenatal home visit (ideally between 35-37) weeks to review birth plan, what to do when labor starts, labor management options & tools, how to best prepare your home and family for baby, etc. (approx. 2 hours)
- Use of any books in my lending library.
- PDF’s to help prepare you and keep you organized, sent via email.
- Education through emails and YouTube Videos
- Access to different baby carriers to try on before purchase, including a stretchy wrap, Didymos, Bamberoo, Rebozo, Kanga & Mei Tai.
- An aromatherapy consultation is included in the prenatal visit to discuss what essential oils we can use during labor. I can supply oils and a diffuser for your birth if you wish.
- A customized labor & delivery playlist of music. I will supply a speaker and music and/or meditation tracks for your birth.
- Text, emails and phone calls returned within 4 hours (usually way sooner) until 37 weeks gestation.
- On call 24/7 37 weeks from gestation to birth.
- A customized world music lullaby CD or playlist to start your baby on his/her musical journey.
- One postpartum visit, usually within a week of the birth to recount the birth experience, answer any questions, help you decide whether any additional support is needed in the areas of breastfeeding, emotional support, newborn care, etc.
- A Peaceful Postpartum Prescription which includes what to do now that the baby is here, tips for self-care, helpful reminders, contact information for any specialists or referrals if needed, etc.
Fear Release Session
- an additional prenatal visit, held at my home office, where I take you through a healing guided meditation session, helping you relax, find inner strength, facing and releasing of your fears.
Birth Trauma Release Session
- It starts with a phone/Skype/Hangout consult on one day, followed by a live session, at my home office, where we delve into what trauma you may have experienced in a previous birth, and help clear it so it doesn’t carry forth into this birth.
Extra Prenatal Visit
- Sometimes an extra visit is needed or recommended to finalize details. This visit can also be used for us both to go together to a Prenatal appointment with your care provider, so we’ve all met each other beforehand and are comfortable with each other.
Private Prenatal Consult
- Don’t want to hire a Doula, but want some insider information and help formulating your plan? This is a 1.5 hour consultation to discuss childbirth, providers and options, ask questions, discuss any fears or concerns. We can work together and create your ideal personal Birth Preferences handout and discuss how to make your vision a reality. We also discuss various techniques, positions, tools, etc. to make your birth as comfortable as possible.
Doula On Call
- Full support of me & my bag of tricks during your labor and delivery, without any prenatal birth preparation sessions. Please note you must give me 1-2 hours to prepare to join you at the birth location. Includes one home postpartum visit in the first few days following the delivery (1 hour)
- I offer a series of childbirth classes that I created, based on a Mind/Body approach to birth. We can tailor it to your needs, contact me for pricing information based on your specific needs.
Out of Area
- Births that takes place outside of my regular service area (greater Broward County, South Palm Beach County, North Miami-Dade County) (to cover additional mileage, parking, fees, etc.)
- photography during the birth of the baby (you decide how graphic or what you want to include or exclude) and throughout the first hour after birth, includes all digital images to you as well as at least 10 edited shots.
Zenbaby at home
- photography at your home within the first 2 weeks of baby’s birth. Lifestyle type photography of the baby, the family, the baby at home, the newness of it all.